Photo By: www.buoyweather.com
In our modern world, smart phones have become an essential to the majority of people’s everyday lives because they are capable of doing so many different things. One of these capabilities is downloading a limitless amount of different applications for whatever you may need. In the boating world, smart phone apps can be a huge advantage to helping you with all of your boating needs or questions. More importantly, the can provide you with key information to help you run your boat more efficient and effective as well as keeping you safe. In this article, I will list some of the most popular boating apps for your smartphone that can be a tremendous help to all boaters.
1) United States Coast Guard: The official U.S. Coast Guard app gives you around the clock access to the most commonly requested information and resources for recreational public boating. You can access weather information for your location, determine what safety equipment you are required to carry, identify boating safety laws, report hazards or suspicious activity, request a vessel safety check, etc.
2) Navionics Boating GPS: A favorite among cruisers, sailors, fishermen, and divers. You can find the same detailed charts and advanced features as on the best GPS plotters. This app has the most accurate and thorough set of information based on a variety of different sources. It provides port plans, safety depth contours, marine services info, tides and currents, navigation aids and more.
3) NOAA SuperRes Radar HD: Designed by weather enthusiasts, this app is the only app that offers access to super hi-resolution radar mosaics for the whole U.S. It has 4 times the resolution of typical weather radar products meaning you can view storm features that can’t be viewed in ordinary apps. Access to 7 day forecasts, current conditions, severe weather warnings, advanced radar layers, temperature overlay and more.
4) Boater’s Pocket Reference: Provides you with hundreds of pages of boating information. Boater’s Pocket Reference offers handy, how-to-do-it information and reference facts, figures, formulas, graphs, and tables about boating. Access to piloting and navigation, U.S. boating regulations, understanding weather and navigation, the basics of operating a boat, mechanical insight, and many other boating resources.
5) Knots 3D: With this app, you can choose from 118 different knots to see in incredible detail how and why they're tied. Browse knots by category, interact with the knot, view it in extensive high resolution detail, and more. Knots 3D will give you a whole new perspective on knots.
Whether you are a recreational boater or a professional fisherman, these apps can all come in handy while out on the water and help you to be more efficient while keeping safe.